Exchange Options

  Student in the laboratory Copyright: © GuG

There are several ways to do an exchange at the Department of Geosciences and Geography. In general, these can be divided into the following:

All three forms of exchange can be sponsored. On the one hand, this works through partnerships between the department and your university, i.e. exchange programs such as Erasmus+ or mobility programs. On the other hand, you can also organize an exchange yourself. For more information, for example on how to apply, see Organization of stay and the linked information pages of the International Office.


Studying Abroad

Erasmus+ logo

You can study with us for one semester (6 months) or two semesters (12 months) and thus participate in the courses of the department. There are several ways to do this:

  • Through the Erasmus+ program:
    First, you need to contact the International Office of your university to see if your university has an agreement with our department. There you also apply, because we need a nomination by your university to be able to accept you.
  • With Worldwide Partnerships:
    The RWTH Exchange Worldwide program is organized by the International Office of RWTH Aachen University. Here, too, you must first check whether there is an agreement between your university and RWTH.
  • Through the offer from IDEA League:
    Applies to students of the other associated universities (see also the individual website).
  • Via the UNITECH International Program:
    For students of a UNITECH partner university.
  • As a Freemover:
    If there is no contract, the application as a freemover is still open to you. In this case you organize the exchange yourself and do not participate in an exchange program.

In order to be able to follow the lessons, we recommend a level of at least B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) in German or English at the time of departure to Aachen. If you choose only English taught courses from our course offer, no German language skills are required. However, a basic knowledge of German is very helpful for everyday life in Germany, so we recommend that you attend a basic German course before your departure in this case as well.



It can also be very exciting to write your bachelor or master thesis at a university abroad. Usually, this is recommendable if you have already been with us for an exchange, so that you have had the chance to get to know our lecturers and chairs. Again, there are several options:


Research Internship

The following options are of interest for research internships in the Departments of Earth Sciences and Geography: